Thursday, January 17, 2013

Doings and Transpirings

Our place in Valpo, delicious food & drink.  Join us.
"The colors, children!"
   Hey, folks.  Matt here.  We hope you're well and that everything is going great for you.  Summer vacation has been proceeding nicely here in Chile.  I'm keeping up the family tradition of being a sweaty-bastard; Sara continues to flourish in the warmth.
Pan de Azucar.  Big country out here.
   So Valparaiso lived up to its reputation as the place to be for New Year's Eve.  After a nice pre-party of machas a la parmesan (razor clams with parm) and Michael Jackson videos, we went to the port to see the BIG show.  That was the best fireworks display I've ever seen, well worth the trip out.
Sara & Miguel having pool time
   Sara had to go back to work the next week and I made my way outdoors for an adventure.  I tried to make a bid for Volcán Tupungato, a big honking 6570M peak on the border w/ Argentina.  I had to get a new 0f bag and permission/maps from the Chilean Army in order to go.  I really wanted it, but unfortunately mis-navigated and cost myself 2 days I needed for acclimatization.  Therefore, I had to bail from the trip about 6 days early.  Total bummer.  However, I saw a bunch of beautiful scenery that not many (including Chileans) get to see.
Obligatory cat nap picture
   When I got back, Sara had finished working and was out in Quilpue with her friend, Elspeth, and her family.  I went out to meet them for a few days and ended up staying about a week.  It was great to be out of the city (super HOT) and spend time with Sara.  Elspeth and her family were very kind to have us out there.
I am great.
   Right now we're prepping for my parents, brother, and sister-in-law to arrive this weekend.  We're looking forward to good times in Santiago, down south, and in wine country.  After, my brother and I are also going to have some Andean adventures, which should be fun.
Eyeing a rocoto.  Not our cat.
   That's about it for us.  The kitty is growing very quickly.  We just put up a balcony garden in order to keep her from getting too close to the edge.  It also looks nice and has some good food/spices in it (ají, rocoto, basil, green onion, rudo).  Well, gotta run as we're having people over for poker in a little bit.  We hope all is well with you and yours.  Please send us pictures, write an email, gchat, whatever and let us know how you are.  Smooches.

No comments:

Post a Comment